Thursday, December 20, 2012

Homework

So now for the big news in the Hatch Home- I will now be tutoring out of my home.  Awhile back I had a doom & gloom discussion with my boss where she explained that she wasn't making enough money and made me feel like I was going to be fired or paid less (which though she hadn't blatantly said that, I did later find out those were the options she was considering). During that discussion I offered her my home for us to tutor out of in order to help her save money (and keep my job & my salary). And without a later discussion she decided to take me up on my offer. Rebekka & I will now be tutoring our clients out of my home instead of our office on Recker & Baseline. And Tina will be tutoring her clients out of her own home.

It makes me sad because I liked keeping work & home life separate. I also liked having a Smartboard to use, and so did my students. And it also made me major stressed... 

At first I decided that I was going to turn our front living room into our tutoring space which wouldn't have been too hard but then I realized that just wasn't going to work. Keeping the kids off the stuff would be too hard. So this week I had the fun job of turning the playroom into my tutoring office. It was a lot of work but  after staying up until midnight one night and then having my parents help out a bit the next morning, I was able to get it done! I still need to buy some things and bring over some things from the other office but the BIG work is done. So here are the results:

The boy's little table got moved to where Tyler & my desks are & where all the arts & crafts supplies are located- so now it's in a location that makes sense.




Here is the tutoring office (in what used to be the playroom):


And here is the boys new playroom. It used to be our spare/guest bedroom so what's not featured in this picture, is a bed & 2 dressers shoved up against the opposite wall...:


Anyways, I think in the long run this will be better because it will allow me some distance from my boss who I love as a person but not so much a business person. And I am loving, so far, having the playroom upstairs. It's roomier, brighter and I like having that there are no toys downstairs. Plus the boys have been having too much fun with it. It's like all their toys are brand new just because they are in a new location :)

No comments:

Post a Comment