Saturday, November 3, 2012

Lucy!

Since little Lucy had decided she didn't want to come out on her own, I went in for my scheduled c-section on Thursday, November 1, 2012. I was asked to fast for 12 hours before coming in and to arrive 2 hours early. Tyler and I arrived at Banner Gateway at 10am, and I was feeling very nervous and hungry.

When we got there we waited for awhile and then met with with the registrar and gave them all our info. When we were done with that we were taken to a recovery room (all the prep rooms were full) and very slowly they started prepping me for the surgery. Tyler's prepping part was easy, he just had to put on this lovely jumpsuit and hairnet. They actually traded the hairnet in for a surgeon cap late but we didn't get a picture of it. It was a lot more flattering ;)


My prepping was less fun. They put an IV in me and the nurse had a hard time doing it. She tried to put it in what she thought would be  a more comfortable place on my arm but was unsuccessful so she had to retry it somewhere else on my arm. During that process my nerves started to get to me and I began to get dizzy. It was not a great start. 


Then my Dr came in and decided to check my cervix. I had dilated to 4 centimeters and she knew I had wanted a VBAC so she asked me if I wanted her to break my water and give it one more try. Lack of food, water, and heightened nerves caused me to freak out and shake when given this choice. I had come in prepared to get the c-section and the idea of having to go through labor terrified me (especially when I was feeling so weak from fasting and would still be unable to eat anything). Plus there was a risk that breaking my water wouldn't work and I could end up with a c-section anyways. I told Tyler I would rather not do either and that we should just go home but after lots of freaking out I ended up deciding to get the c-section. It was a tough choice but it felt like the right one.

After I made the decision they gave me my hairnet and then wheeled me in for my spinal tap. Unfortunately, Tyler was not allowed to go in with me and I was really nervous. Fortunately, I have a great doctor who helped position me for the needle and comfort me and I got through it. 

When Tyler came in I finally was able to get my shakes under control and the surgery began. It felt a lot more uncomfortable this time and there is very yucky smells that filled the room but thanks to my loving hubby I made it through. At 12:44pm my Lucy Louise Hatch left my womb. She was sunny side up, with wide open eyes, and weighed 8lbs. 3oz, has a 14in head and is 20 inches long.


 It took awhile before I got to see her pretty face and then once I saw her she left with Tyler and I was left alone for more uncomfortableness as they stitched me up. This time I had no hubby to help me through but I did have a very touchy, Brazilian anesthesiologist who did his best to comfort me. He was interesting...

Once I was all stitched and stapled up (they had to cut out my old scar so it took awhile) I was taken to the recovery room where I got to see my baby & hubby again. I also began shaking really bad again so they gave me some drugs which made me feel very sleepy. Here are some pictures of us, my baby girl & Dr. Bullaro. Don't I look fantastic!?




Here we are later with our little pumpkin. We had a fun nurse who got her one of the hats that was remaining from Halloween.


And more pictures of my sweet baby girl. I am really loving dressing her up. The Minnie Mouse hat has been by far the biggest hit though :)









1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love her birth story and what in the world are you doing blogging ALREADY!!!! You are a crazy woman!! C-section babies are so much prettier :) I think she looks more like Ben with her perfect round face but maybe Steven's head? Haha, it's hard to tell because she's not in my arms but she's sooo super duper cute and you and Tyler look radiant.

    ReplyDelete