Saturday, August 26, 2017

Penny's Birthday, An Eclipse, Etc

Miss Penny turned 3 this Sunday! A little bit ago someone gave us a cat cake pan and when I asked Penny if she wanted a cat cake for her birthday she was immediately sold. She also insisted that it be a "mink meow" (pink cat). Tyler obliged and made it for her the night before her birthday(pic on the left). The next morning Lucy helped Penny sneak some frosting from the meow cake, they even washed their hands to erase the evidence (pic on the right shows all the spots where frosting was snitched).


As per tradition, Penny opened her presents when she woke up. She had both boys flanking her, ready to help open presents but she is perfectly capable of doing it all by herself now. The grandparents spoiled her with Paw Patrol which she was super excited about. We got her a Pepa the Pig Train and a Water Wow. Not her favorite gifts but I got them for super cheap so there, ha ha!




I can't believe that Penny has been in our family for 3 years but then again it's hard to remember our family without her. She has definitely come with her set of challenges but those sweet hugs, kisses and smile make it all worth. I love her lots and I think it's safe to say that between being spoiled with Paw Patrol toys and getting a meow cake, it was a good birthday for her!

Monday was the Eclipse and it was pretty cool. We didn't get a total eclipse here in Michigan but it was still neat to watch the Sun get covered up by the moon until it was just sliver. To the kids it was like the sun had become the moon. We only had one pair of Eclipse glasses (Steven randomly found it mixed in a candy bin, we were a little late to jump on the bandwagon) but we were all able to get a chance to look through them (with only a little bit of fighting).


On Wednesday the boys were invited to a Nerf War at someone in the Ward's home. It didn't go so well. Steven was trying to be bossy and one of the kids got frustrated and yelled at him. While I don't think the other kid should have yelled at him, I also don't like that my kid was causing problems. Honestly my kids don't seem to mesh well with these kids which is a bummer because they are new and I know they need friends but unfortunately I just don't think it'll be us.

On Thursday Penny had her 3 year well check up and continued with her tradition of crying and screaming the entire time. I had tried to talk to her about it the night before and I really thought it was going to be better but apparently not. She didn't even have to get a shot this time. The little stinker is just traumatized by doctor's for life I suppose.

Thursday afternoon Tyler's work had a picnic at Central Park, per his request and planning. He told me that me and the kids were all invited to but there were literally no other kids there and only a couple other spouses. Apparently he didn't advertise the open invite well or people just couldn't make it. Thankfully it was at the park so me and the kids just spent most of the time at the playground. I guess it was nice to finally put some faces to names though.

Friday we spent the morning at the park with friends and the afternoon swimming with another group of friends. The weather was actually pretty chilly and I was surprised my kids actually wanted to go swimming (I think it was maybe 70 when we got there) but they did and though they didn't last super long in the water, they did get in. Brave children! They also then spent a LONG time under the hot water of a shower there trying to warm up after swimming, ha ha.

Also, Lucy got an adorable haircut this week. I was going to try and grow her hair out but I ended up just telling them to cut it. She always pulls out ponytails or things I put in her hair and honestly, I just like it better short on her. Maybe someday I will grow it out.


Only one more week until school starts. Unfortunately teacher placements came in yesterday and I am not super excited about who either of the boys got. Neither one got who I was hoping for and I am starting to regret my decision to keep them at Kurtz and wondering if it's not going to be worth the commute. Ugh. I hate being a grown up and having to make big decisions. For now we will try to place the worries aside and just enjoy our last week of summer!



No comments:

Post a Comment