Saturday, March 1, 2014

2 Months In



There are some things that I find I have adjusted to as we complete our second month of our life here in Michigan...

I am more comfortable driving in the snow, I don't love it and prefer not to but I can do it. I can finally back out of my long driveway without readjusting 10 times (now I just readjust 2 or 3 times). As long as the temperature is 20 degrees or above with little to no windchill, I can be in it without freezing. I know how to get to Walmart, and to the I-96 which will pretty much get me anywhere I need to go. And with the help of sweaters, blankets and space heaters, I am able to be comfortable in our drafty home.

But I am definitely not completely adjusted.... 

I still feel like I am going to die anytime there is a windchill outside. I still have troubles walking on our icy driveway (fell once to prove that fact). It is still a pain to get Steven all dressed for school (not that I do it for him, but he complains and delays- he despises snow pants especially). It is also a pain to put all the jackets, hats, boots, and mittens in their proper spot. I still get nervous about driving to new places and am especially wary of driving to the church building or stake center because they are so far and require changes in freeways. 

And then there is the adjustment to the slowness of my life here. I have NEVER had this much time on my hands ever! Between tutoring, babysitting for friends, monthly temple visits, volunteering in Steven's classroom...I always had something I should be doing. But now I have no kids to watch and no one to watch mine so I can't go to the temple or volunteer during the day (most of the young families live in Commerce, about 20 minutes away). I have no tutoring to occupy my afternoons, to plan for, to plan around, etc. It's all just very strange.

So I find myself doing things like making this:


And I found myself signing up for Scribd (an online book subscription service) so that I can read more, and play less Candy Crush (something I should have never started playing). 

And I find myself laying on the couch with Ben, looking at photo albums and reminiscing about our life in Arizona. Or I find myself trying to teach him his letter sounds- which is turning out to be very difficult task, but after a week I think he finally has letter A down.

It's just a different life here and I must admit I feel guilty for being less busy but then Tyler reminds me about the baby in my tummy and I realize, come August, I might be singing a different tune...

Anyways, on another note Tyler and I got our tax refund which was amazing since we were completely broke last year and while most of it is tucked away in savings (basically replenishing all we lost), we did keep a bit for fun money. And part of that fun money funded a very fun date to Cheesecake Factory where Tyler took this very unflattering picture of me...


Photo: Jenny is inside . . . . . and still cold.

But the food was amazing and so worth the wait. It satisfied my cravings perfectly! And of course, it was nice to finally have some time out, just me & Tyler- it had been a couple months. And as an added bonus, Lucy didn't even cry for the babysitter! So it was a guilt free, perfect night.

And also with our fun money, I got a new point & shoot camera. As of late I have just not been happy with the quality of my smart phone pics and the point & shoot camera we did have is in pretty sad condition SO I got this one (on sale!) at Target:



A Canon Elph 330, by far the cheapest camera I could find with Wi-Fi that also got amazing reviews. I can't wait to get it all set up and working- I'm hoping it lives up to its reviews!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's been two months!

    Welcome to the stuck-at-home mommy life. Lol. Mostly I'm just in a similar situation because of my lack of car, not necessarily from lack of babysitters. (super cute banner btw) Anyway...

    Yay for finally getting a date night! And a camera! :)

    ReplyDelete