Wednesday, August 7, 2013

On the Other Side

6 years ago I embarked on my teaching journey. I was young, pregnant, overwhelmed, and unsure of myself as a teacher. I spent weeks getting my classroom together, days in meetings and before I knew it was time to meet the parents & my kids. My nerves were through the roof, I had no idea what I was going to say to these people who were about to entrust me with their children for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week- that's a huge chunk of the week people. And then the parents arrived and I attempted to feign confidence as I spoke to them. Tried to act like I had done this a million times. But I was young and new and it showed. And when one parent found out just how new I was they began to rant. They did not like first year teachers and were not pleased about their child being in my class. And I was so hurt because I had to start somewhere and I judged those parent's for the way they treated me.

And now fast forward 6 years. That baby that was in my tummy is now starting Kindergarten. And it's embarrassing to admit but I was nervous to be on the other side, to be meeting the person who would be with my child 7 hours a day, 5 hours a week. The person my child might accidentally call mom when beckoning them over for help tying a shoe lace. The person that will comfort my child when he cries over an owie or hurt feelings. The person who will determine if my child is really sick or just wanting a break from class time. The person who will discipline my child when he talks out of turn or says a potty word (believe me, it's bound to happen). 

And when I met his teacher, I saw the newness in her eyes. Standing behind a desk at the front door, unsure of what she was supposed to be doing, unsure of where to put supplies some parents had brought but sure that she was not going to leave that spot of comfort. Handing out scavenger hunts that didn't include pictures but words that only parents could read. Not trying to extend conversations with parents but just trying to explain papers and look professional. Trying to look like she knew what she was doing but she was young and she was new. And I wanted to cry out, "Not a first year teacher!" I was not pleased. I had been there. I had struggled through that first year constantly gasping for air and feeling like I had no idea what I was doing. And I had ruined 21 students... Hadn't I?

But I hadn't. It was a tough year but my students progressed and learned. And I still remember how one mom had told me that I was exactly the teacher her child needed that year. Me! A first year teacher! So now it's time to stop judging and put my confidence in this teacher. It's been awhile since I have worn my teacher hat and that's ok. I get the mom hat now and it's pretty fabulous. And this mom is determined to be a helpful, non yellow dot parent. And who knows, maybe she will be just what my child needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment