Saturday, March 30, 2013

Ben's Birthday Date

For Ben's actual birthday I took him on a date to Build-A-Bear. I was hoping that some one-on-one time with Ben might get him to open up with me a bit (lately he's mostly just chatty with Steven) but, he was still my sweet, quiet, shy child (thankfully the "Told you!" attitude of last week has faded).

When we got there he was all grins. They asked him if he wanted a pair of bunny ears and more grinning so on the ears went. Then when I asked which animal he wanted, more grins. I would point to one and he would just smile. The 2 that he reacted to with a smile AND a "yes"- a pink bear and a penguin. So penguin it was!



Then it was time to stuff the penguin. I love how the worker was so friendly with him and kept asking him questions and all he did was stare at her with a smile as though he was some mute child. Also when the worker asked him to kiss the heart before they put it in the penguin he took it from her and put where the heart should go. And then kissed it. He seemed very surprised when she then took it from him and stuck it in the penguin's back. That's not where hearts go!


After stuffing the penguin and giving it a "bath" it was time to pick an accessory for the penguin. I told him he could have one thing but he kept just walking around with a smile and giving me no response to anything I showed him. A worker tried to steer him towards some things for a bit too but his quiet grinning finally frightened her off too. SO I was about to call it quits and just go buy the penguin when he grabbed a Fedora hat! Absolutely the PERFECT accessory for a penguin that already has a bow tie- excellent job Ben!


Once the penguin was made we met daddy over at Red Robin's for a birthday lunch. Bad idea. Apparently everyone who was on holiday for Good Friday was there and it was packed! We waited 20 minutes to sit down and at least 30 minutes to get our food. By the time we got the food, it was nap time for Ben and he was very sleepy. Not fussy sleepy, just tired sleepy- 
so tired he didn't even want to eat his pizza! Poor kid! 


In the picture below, I asked him to show me how old he is now. I can't believe I have a 10 year old!


He filled up some of the wait time by taking pictures of daddy- pretty good job for a 3 year old!



I love my Benny boy and was so glad I got to spend some one-on-one time with him for his third birthday, even if it didn't go exactly as planned.




No comments:

Post a Comment