Saturday, June 8, 2024

Summertime

Sunday was testimony meeting and Penny, unprompted by me, went up and bore her testimony. Ruby started getting fussy and the lady before her talked too much so I ended up having to step out during it. That was frustrating but from what I heard in the halls, it was nice, simple testimony. Primary was....loud...the kids are seriously wiggly these days. Summer has definitely arrived. Even Penny was not super obedient. After church Mariah and her family came over. I watched the kids so they could do DND and then we had a BBQ to break the fast. It is nice having family here so we can do Sunday dinners sometimes.

Monday I cleaned and then the kids had friends over. It was a little frustrating to see all my hard work cleaning so quickly be erased. 

Tuesday we had to return all our books to Renaissance. I took Claire's family's books too so I was loaded down with two very heavy laundry baskets full of books. I ended up bringing the books back while Ruby was napping so that Ben could watch her and I didn't have to tote her too. That was a good choice. We were originally going to go to a park with some friends after book drop off but a couple of friends backed out and it was such a hot day, so we canceled. I was honestly really glad it didn't work out. Instead of the park, the kids had 2 friends come over. That was more low key for me and helped keep Ruby on schedule. 

Tuesday night we went to Ryah's graduation party (she was in our seminary class for a year and her mom was in Bunco with me for awhile).  I usually don't love these sort of things but it ended up being super chill and there were actually a couple of people there that I know and got to catch up with. Ryah is always so kind and did a good job of making us feel welcome. And Ruby was a hit with the teens. She isn't as smiley these days but her big eyes and dark lashes draw everyone in. They even had a shaved ice truck there when we arrived and I was going to grab some on our way out. Of course when we left, the truck was gone. That was the only bummer for the night. 

Wednesday afternoon I watched Mariah's kids so her and Jeff could go on an anniversary date.  I have to be really forceful to get her to let me watch her kids. I wish she would let me help more.  I was a little worried about having Maverick but it actually went super smoothly.  I assigned each of my kids, one of her kids and had them make sure they are their lunch. Then I put the babies down for a nap. Maverick slept in Ruby's unused crib. While they were napping, Steven listened out for them, and the rest of us went for a walk. After the walk they played Candy Land and then we all drew a picture together. Then we turned on Octonauts for the tail end. Smooth sailing.  



While the Jones' kids were over it started pouring and Lucy actually went out and played in it. We had done a book about overcoming worries and it feels like it worked. She used to hate rain because to her that equated to tornadoes. Not sure if it was the strategies it taught or if she just needed extra love and attention to get her less scared...

Thursday Ben, Ruby, and Penny drove with me out to Oxford to return Ben's computer. The lady had us fill out some stuff on a computer and then disappeared in the back with her coworkers before we finished.  I had to awkwardly call back for her so she could actually take our computer. Super fun. 

That evening the kids had over their Renassiance friends to burn old school work- Geli, Luna, Aiden, Brielle, Andrea and Claire. They had pizza, played video games, burned their work (without starting any yard fires thankfully), made s'mores (got sticky marshmallows everywhere- the deck, the driveway, the camping chairs) and ended the night playing Nuke 'Em at our beach. It was actually a really chill, really nice party. It's fun watching these crazy kids grow up. 





Friday our neighborhood was going to have their end of the school year beach party so my kids invited some friends to go to it.  But then they canceled the party because of wind so we ended up hosting friends again. Even though it was windy and cool they all decided they still wanted to go to the beach so we did. They played Nuke 'Em for a bit and then actually got in the water. They are much braver than me. After playing in the water, we tried to dig heart shaped holes and take pics from inside them (it's a social media trend) but we failed to get them the right size. Then it was back to our house for gaming and some orange chicken. 






Friday night Tyler and I had Lauren Cody's (not sure her new last name) Michigan open house to go to ( I had her in young women's and we're friends with her parents). It looks like Lauren married a good man, he really seemed genuine and kind.  The venue was small and cramped and the food was not great but we had a couple good people to chat with before we removed ourselves from the peopley place. Ben was nice and watched Ruby so we could go (no kids were allowed). He did really good getting her to bed. He said she started crying so he picked her up and rocked her and whispered to her calming things and then she went to bed. He's a good kid. 

The girls had a party at Grace's that night while we were at the open house, so I hung out with Grace and Caroline for a bit when I went to pick up Lucy and Penny. I like hanging out with my friends individually but then when I do, I just have to hear everything repeated when we're all together. Sigh. 

Saturday morning, we realized Tyler had forgotten to leave the card at the open house. I sent a text to Lauren's mom and she ended up coming over to pick up. She's super chatty so she came inside and talked about her busy life for a bit. The rest of my day was fairly uneventful. The girls had a birthday party at an art place and some of the moms were going to go get coffee while the kids partied. I was not in the mood to be social with moms I don't know well so I was rude and said I needed some quiet time. Hopefully I didn't offend them too much but I just really didn't have the energy for it.

Ruby this week has officially mastered going up stairs- although not very safely. And she has discovered that she likes to growl. It is a very cute growl.









No comments:

Post a Comment