Saturday, June 18, 2022

Things

 This week my friend, Corinne, who had moved to Indiana was in town. She came over Sunday night for a girl's night. I made the mistake of telling her that I didn't have a bedtime because it was summer. I just said it because she was coming over around 9pm and I didn't want her to feel like that was too late, I figured she would stay until midnight. Nope. She stayed until 2am and I am just not a night owl. My eyes were burning and I was sooo tired and the conversation was just not worth being up that late. She's a good lady and we had a good friendship while she was here but I am just not feeling that friendship. I know she is still settling into Indiana, it takes time to settle in a new place, and I hope she can find some good friends there.

Monday I felt off from being up late the night before. Thankfully I didn't have too much going on. I got the house cleaned and then Steven and I had eye appointments. My prescription stayed the same but Steven's worsened slightly. My boring teen picked literally the same frames he has now but blue. They do seem to be really durable so I guess it's fine. I found the appointment a little annoying because they dialated my eyes, let them sit a bit and then did the eye test. When the eye dr was asking me better 1, better 2, I felt like both options were blurry and he seemed to be frustrated with me. He basically kept repeating that I needed to just focus on the top line and pick one. Ugh.

Tuesday I watched Caroline's kids for most of the day. I don't mind watching her kids because they get along so well with mine. In the afternoon I took her kids to the beach and met a few of my friends there as well, including Corinne. It was nice beach outing, however we just don't stay as long as we used to. I remember last summer we would be at the beach until dinnertime and now the kids are done a couple hours before. Maybe they're growing out of it? Afterwards, Corinne and her family came over to rinse off and change and then they headed back to Indiana. That evening Tyler took the girls to go see "Bad Guys" because they were jealous that the boys got to go to a movie last week and they didn't. The boys and I stayed home and watched "Come Play". This was a scary movie that they had seen at a friend's house before. I am not a fan. A little too dark for me and the monster was super creepy.

Wednesday after lunch I took the girls over to Grace's house. While they played, I did a puzzle with Grace and we chatted. I may have overshared some things but it felt nice to have a good vent. The girls had a lot of fun doing classic summer things while over there, like jumping on the trampoline with the sprinklers on and throwing water balloons. It was a hot day, the temps were in the 90's and the humidity was high. 

That evening the boys had activities at the church and Bishop pulled me into his office to ask how many seminary students we can fit in our house, I guess that means we are teaching next year. I am happy to do it, I honestly think it's easier than being in a presidency because you don't have to deal with lots of meeting and annoying people- eveyone essentially leaves you be. But also, to be honest, I feel like I am still recovering from teaching seminary. I sleep a lot and still don't feel quite rested. I also feel like when I go to teach lessons to my kids from the Come Follow Me for the week, I just cannot get my brain to focus and teach. It's like my brain got overloaded from doing daily lessons and just can't do it anymore. 

Thursday was another hot day. The 3 youngest attended a sport's camp that morning that was ran by a member of our ward, he was nice to invite them. I think they had fun but after 2 hours in the sun, they came home a bit cranky. Apparently Ben had also been helping lead soccer and Penny didn't appreciate him telling her what to do during it. While they were at camp, Steven and I went to his high school to pick up his summer homework. Because he doesn't have a email with the school yet we couldn't access it so they made us come to the school to get it. It felt like they should've just given us access but oh well. Then he ran a few errands with me. I always appreciate having one on one time with the kids. 

Thursday afternoon I took Penny, Lucy and Ben to the orthodontist. They ended up recommending that we pull 3 of Penny's baby teeth, and they recommended Ben get braces and rubberbands but they said Lucy can wait. Penny and Ben are not happy about the recommendations. I can't say I am either. I know Penny will not have a good experience with getting teeth pulled and it'll cost $5600 to do braces for Ben. That will really hit our savings hard, it would basically take a fourth of it out. It's hard because we still have our trip to Missouri and driver's ed for Steven coming up plus all the sports the kids do and Christmas. Essentially our savings will be pretty zapped by the end of this year and with the prices of everything rising it's scary to not have a big cushion.

Thursday night the weather had cooled and I sat outside making comic strips with Ben and Penny while Tyler attempted to play tennis in the backyard with Steven and Lucy. It was one of those summer nights that I just love. Everyone outside enjoying family time.

Friday after lunch we did another beach day with friends. It was alright. Penny is kind of struggling because none of my friend's have a girl her age and she is not so into hanging out with boys anymore or the younger girls. Apparently I need to branch out and invite some new people. I had a hard time because when my friends were talking about what a great diverse group of friends we are, they listed Caroline as the super talented one, Melissa as the great cleaner and helper, Grace as the stylish decorator, and me as....good at watching kids? Thanks? It made me feel not so great.

Friday night Tyler and I went out on a much needed date. We ended up in Ann Arbor and it was a good time. We strolled a book store, and then grabbed dinner at Taq. I ended up getting a taco that I didn't love but we shared a nacho appetizer that was REALLY yummy. I guess chips with good dip/toppings are really my favorite thing. Afterwards we grabbed some cookies at Detroit Cookie Co. Then we hit another bookstore on the way home so he could get a couple classic books he wanted for Father's Day. It's funny that he never reads books (he listens to them) but he wants these books. I guess for when electronics fails us and all we have our physical books...He is a doomsday guy through and through. 

Saturday I went to our seminary student, Alyssa's, graduation party while Tyler took Steven to his soccer team's party. I think I got the better end of the deal. He said the soccer team parents all knew each other and it was rather exhausting trying to chime in and make conversation. Sounds like my personal nightmare. Ben had a great time though. And I enjoyed chatting a bit with Alyssa's mom and I also met a couple from the other Ward that is going to be Steven's trek ma and pa. I'm glad I got to meet the people who are going to be in charge of my son for a few days, they seem like they'll take good care of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment