Saturday, March 20, 2021

Things

This past Sunday I had a proud moment for my young women. Bishop wants to do a mulch fundraiser for youth camps but the young women were not interested. One of my counselors suggested selling flowers instead and the girls loved this idea. So my young women got together and came up with a persuasive speech in favor of the flowers and presented it to the Bishop at Ward Youth Council. I didn't love his reaction. Instead of praising them for their efforts he gave them the fifth degree about the fundraiser- really nit picked it- but in the end one of his counselors pointed out that we could make more money with the flowers so Bishop conceded that the girls could do flowers and the boys could do mulch. 

After such an eventful week last week, we were much less exciting this week. Mostly just errand running- getting some things for a family that's going through a hard time, getting things for the kids' Easter baskets and getting candy for the Easter Egg Hunt we're hosting. Apparently I was putting that stimulus check we got from the govt to good use. But when I run errands I tend to invite one or two kids along with me so the positive side to errand running this week is that I got some quality time with my kids.

On Monday Penny got sick. She had a low grade fever for all of Monday and for most of the week was fairly congested. This did not make for a very happy Penny. She becomes exteremely sensitive and whiney. That in turn made homeschool with her this week less than fun. But as of today, Saturday, she is feeling much better thankfully.

Youth activity restrictions finally changed for the better so Wednesday we met in person with our yw outside the YMCA. We brought all the girls Shamrock Shakes since it was St. Patrick's Day and chatted, danced, and played GaGa Ball (which is like Dodgeball except you swat the ball with your hands instead of throwing it). It was pretty fun, I just have a bleeding heart and the girls weren't doing a great job of including a girl that's fairly new to our Ward. Thankfully she's athletic and when they started playing Gaga Ball I think she started to feel more included.

Friday night Caroline and Melissa came over and we filled Easter Eggs. Two of my YW were doing the lighting for their HS play so I bought a streaming pass for it and we sort of watched it while filling eggs. I say sort of because it was really quite terrible so we felt less inclined to focus on it. Why was it terrible? First of all it was made from interviews of people who had connections to the Sandy Hook shooting so the material was not happy. Second of all, I don't think most high schoolers can truly understand the subject matter so they really overdramatized it. BUT the lighting was on point so my yw are still amazing. Ha.

This morning, Saturday the girls had cheer again, they are adorable and I love watching them cheer- even if they're not great at it. And then this afternoon Caroline and Melissa and my neigbor will be coming over for an Easter Egg Hunt. I had invited the triplets that live in our neighborhood too but they cancelled this morning. Which means we have an excessive amount of eggs now for the rest of us. I'm sure the kids won't complain though. But I might complain because that candy is going to be sooooo tempting.

This week I got asked by a Bunco friend to do some handlettering for her business. She did not offer any compensation and honestly if she had, I probably wouldn't have taken it but the gesture would have been nice. It also started off simple- a few signs with one word on them and then spiraled to 8 signs, some with more complex phrases. And then when I sent her digital files she said she was wanting handwritten. I finally talked her back into digital but not without some feelings of frustration in between from me. Her company does work with abuse survivors and is a good business but I just had a lot of moments where I didn't feel like my time was being respected. Anyways, I probably will never try to sell my stuff because just doing this for free project ruined the relaxation that my hobby usually provides. But I am up to a whopping 74 followers on my @hatchcreates IG page so go me ;)

This week marked a year since my losing Isaac. Oddly enough the only person who acknowledged it is one who has been giving me the silent treatment. I don't know how to feel about her still but I do I appreciate the acknowledgement. I've had a lot of hard feelings as of late and it's nice to have someone recognize that this is a hard time. 

And to end on a much happier note, Lucy was inspired to paint and made me this gem. It sounds a bit like a threat ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment