Saturday, March 13, 2021

Detroit, Fredrick Meijer Garden, Raptors

One of the perks of homeschool is that we get to set our own schedule and do our own breaks. Midwinter break for public schools is the worst because it's always cold outside which limits what you can do so we skipped midwinter break. And knowing that we had those days still, we decided to take this past Monday and Tuesday off. It was needed. The kids and I were driving each other bonkers. Monday we started off our day picking up cookies at the Detroit Cookie Company. They had lots of fun flavors like one with circus animal cookies, and another with brownies and oreos...



After we cookies we got our cookies we drove over to the Detroit Riverfront where the kids gobbled up their cookies. Then we walked over to the Dequindre Cut. This was a nice paved trail with some fun murals/graffiti. The art was cool and the kids enjoyed taking pictures with it. We also talked about how art has a lot to do with whose looking at it, not everyone thinks the same things are beautiful. It was a pretty decent walk but they didn't complain too much about getting tired which is good since they haven't gotten out that much lately. Also, my kids think it is hilarious to pick noses in paintings.










Tuesday we went to Grand Rapids to visit the Fredrick Meijer Sculpture Garden with the Mays. We first met at their house and swapped kids. I got Peter and Andrea and she got Steven. Everyone had a buddy to hang with in the car and that made the 2 hour drive much better for all. The weather was warm so we weren't the only ones who had the idea to go enjoy it there so there was a pretty good line to get in but it went quickly. The inside was super busy so we headed outside first to the children's garden. The kids had a lot of fun playing and we ate our lunch there but it started to get real peopley with little ones so we headed out to see the statues. 

Caroline and I had a lot of fun reading the names of statues and trying to interpret the meaning of the abstract ones. The kids had fun running around and posing with statues and just being together. They are all such good buddies. You'll notice Steven and Ben are missing from the photos because they embarked on their own adventure and we didn't meet back up with them until the butterflies. We did see them once but as soon as they saw us they ran off in another direction. Teenagers.






After the statues we stood in line to see the butterflies. It was about a 40 min wait but the line wrapped through all different plant rooms so the kids had fun checking all the plants out. Also at the end of the line they had really awesome little houses that had chrysalises in them. Some even had butterflies that had hatched from chrysalises. The kids loved these and I was amazed out how beautiful a chrysalis can be. 


At last we got into the butterfly room and there were butterflies EVERYWHERE. Butterflies are my favorite. I especially loved the blue ones but they would never stop moving so I couldn't get a good picture of them but I was able to capture this butterfly here. 


Wednesday we got back into homeschool. If only, we could just go on adventures all the time. But I have found that I am not really one who likes to use our adventures to teach- I really just like the break from the normal. After school Ben got to go to Beck's house so I wa able to have a little chat with Beck's mom when I dropped him off. That was nice. And I also had a meeting with the RS Presidency that afternoon. We are coordinating a combined activity with the RS. I think we figured out something that might make be fun for all ages. We shall see.

That evening I had my young women's activity and it was not the smoothest. The girls in charge of the pictionary game came up with clues but didn't put any thought into how to run the game and weren't so good at making decisions. It is so hard for me to watch and not just take over. Painful.

Thursday after homeschool we took Jacob and met the Mays at the Leslie Science and Nature Center. Caroline had signed us up for a tour of the Raptor birds they have there. It was really good....and disgusting. We got to watch all the birds tear apart their food (mice/rats). But we also learned a lot of cool facts and got to see the birds up close. I think my favorite was the owl. It was one of their oldest animals and she didn't really like people and so she hissed at the kids when they got up close- I felt like she was my spirit animal ;)





Friday we had homeschool, piano lessons and Penny lost her front tooth! She was very emotional about losing but gosh, I love those Jack-O-Lantern smiles.



Saturday the girls had their first online Cheer class. It was really cute to watch them cheer and they seemed to have a lot of fun. The teacher was super bubbly and really good with them.



Also last weekend Steven and David went walking to seven eleven and Steven came back with candy for me, that he bought with his own money. That was really nice and unexpected so I feel that needs to be documented.

And will end with a funny Penny story. We were talking about Emma Smith and how she put together a hymn book. When I asked the kids if they know what hymns are, Penny said "Boys!". She, of course, was thinking "him."


No comments:

Post a Comment