Sunday, October 27, 2019

Carving Pumpkins and Ward Trunk or Treat

Sunday was another long day with meetings before and after church. But the highlight was the Primary Program. The kids all do good saying their parts. Good old Ben said his real fast and turned red- in my opinion it was real cute. Penny was up in front and it was fun to see her very expression filled face as she sang each song. Steven got to ring hand bells during one of the songs and he did real good. Lucy read some extra parts and was real proud of herself for being so extra. My favorite song they sang was "Gethsemane"- got me teary eyed. It was nice that for the first time in a loooong time I was able to just be a spectator and watch the program- I had no involvement whatsoever.

Steven had his last cross country meet on Monday and it was cold and rainy and super miserable. He was probably less whiny about it than me. He ended up running a 7 minute and 55 second mile- not his best but still way faster than I have ever run. He said he had some snags with muddy puddles and someone slipping in front of him so I think with that in mind he did pretty good with his time.

The only pics I got were of him standing in the rain with his buddies before it started.



Monday night Tyler came back from his drive across the country safe and sound and now we have a third, more reliable car. I am so grateful for that.

Tuesday I did my usual volunteering for the kids school library. The lady who is usually in there with me was gone but somehow I still got things done in the same amount of time. I was real proud of myself but I kind of think there were probably just less books than there usually are. Afterwards I ran some errands to get some stuff for all the various things that were coming up in my life- Halloween, Trunk-or-Treat, Lucy's Birthday. Then I spent the rest of my afternoon gluing pipe cleaners to a green shirt so I would have a super amazing cactus costume.


Tuesday night I went to Milford and went for a walk with Stefanie. With Fall here and the nights getting dark we had a couple creepy moments- one where we were so focused on some Halloween decorations that we did not notice the man coming in our direction until he was right by us. Another where I heard some rustling in a tall bush I was walking by and I pretty much jumped behind Stefanie. I am such a chicken. We laughed pretty good about those moments and it was really just a fun walk with her.

Wednesday Ben had a dr's appointment around lunchtime. I was disappointed that the dr didn't have any original advice about him wetting the bed- she didn't seem concerned. I am concerned and so frustrated that he has regressed so much. He didn't freak out too bad when he got his finger pricked and his flu shot but he did whimper with the finger prick and boy were the tears streaming down his face. Afterwards I took him to lunch at Wendy's and that seemed to make things better. One of the perks of having all the kids at school is that I can turn appointments into dates. It was real fun to just hang and chat with him at Wendy's. 

Wednesday night for our Youth Activity we carved pumpkins. It was real small turn out with only 4 girls there. We had some sick and lots who are busy with extracurricular activities. I think trying to get more girls to Wednesday night activities is always going to be a source of frustration. During the activity I snapped a little when I felt a girl was trying to weasel out of her responsibility and a leader jumped in trying to take over. This became a source of so much drama later in the week.

Thursday Ben had another appointment- this time the orthodontist. He got his expander off and they fixed his broken bracket. No lunch for him this time but instead I met Tyler for lunch after dropping Ben back off at school. Another perk of having all the kids in school.

Thursday after dinner the kids carved pumpkins- after seeing all my Youth do it Wednesday night they really wanted to do it too. I bought dollar store scoops and carvers and they seriously were amazing. They made scooping so much easier and the kids were actually able to carve themselves.





Thursday night I had a meeting with my Presidency and while mostly it was fine there was that moment where my snapping Wednesday night made for some drama. The leader that I had snapped at to not take over for the girl expressed to me that I really hurt her feelings and then started to cry. I apologized for hurting her feelings but it was real uncomfortable. I know her intentions were good but I feel strongly that the girls need to learn how to ask for help and not just expect us to take over.

Friday I subbed and it was a real rough class and on top of that I had more church drama. First I had one of the moms of my yw call while my class was at music. She told me that rain was expected during trunk or treat and she tried to advice me on how to handle that- I already had that under control. Then she told me how she heard there weren't very many yw at the last activity and she told me not to take that personally. Well I hadn't been. Then she proceeded to tell me things I already knew about why girls hadn't been there. After that I had someone who was supposed to make a game for the trunk or treat act really confused when I checked in on her. Apparently she thought we were going to already have the game, even though I had text her and told her she needed to create the game. And that wasn't it for the fun. Then the girl from Wednesday night who had tried to weasel out of an activity miscommunicated some things and that led for some real frustrating texts with her dad (who is also the Bishop). The text conversation ended with me feeling like he is not quite on the same page as me with how this new Youth Program should look. He thinks the burden of the kids responsibilities will fall on parents. I disagree with that strongly. In a nutshell it was a real frustrating day.

That evening I brought Tyler and the kids with me to go watch one of my YW cheer at a football game. It was cold but at least it wasn't rainy. And I was squished in the middle of everyone and had a blanket so I stayed pretty warm. It was fun to watch her cheer and chat with her mom and everyone else seemed to enjoy watching to football game- even though the team we were cheering on got crushed.

Saturday was busy with getting ready for the trunk or treat and in the midst of it a friend asked me to move furniture. I was overwhelmed with life but remembered the lesson I had just taught my yw about serving when you are busy so I helped her. I was glad I did. I had a good vent about the church drama and everything that I needed to get done that day still got done, with time to spare. Tender mercy.

The Ward Halloween Party went pretty smoothly. I was a stress cadet but that is just my persona. There was more then enough food. The games got played and stayed in order and didn't seem chaotic like they often do. The Bishop was adamant there was a costume parade and as stressful as it was to get all the kids together it turned out well. Then prizes for chili and costumes were handed out (Steven won scariest costume with his cereal killer costume). After that the kids went trick-or-treating in the halls (thanks to the never ending rain we were stuck indoors). Overall it went well and I am so happy it's all done.






No comments:

Post a Comment