Saturday, January 6, 2018

A New Year

This Sunday was Penny's last Sunday in Nursery. I am a little in denial that my youngest just graduated from Nursery- my littlest is not so little anymore! To commemorate her graduation, they gave her a certificate with this cute picture on it. I love how she is the silliest of the bunch!  


She also got to visit Primary on Sunday and though she was being pretty reverent, Ben kept shouting to her "Look Penny, there's mom!" and other super helpful things. It was too bad they left before my sharing time. I got to sub in sharing time for the president and though it's been years since I have taught sharing time, I felt like it went really well. I really miss teaching the youth. I'm tired of secretary stuff, handing out folders (putting together folders), taking attendance, sending out talk reminders, etc- none of that stuff is very fun, nor is it very spiritual.

Sunday evening was New Years Eve. We had a dance party with Netflix countdowns. The kids insisted on doing all 9 of the countdowns that Netflix had so we danced and counted down 9 times. It was fun to watch the kids show off all their silly dance moves. When I took a video they were all anxious to get on camera, Penny being the worst and shoving in front "my turn!" Camera hog!


They also got to toast sparkling cider in fancy glasses 9 times and take sips. Surprisingly with all that toasting there was only one spillage. That was done by Penny who actually isn't much of a fan of sparkling cider so it kept sloshing around.




I enjoyed watching my silly kids toast and dance so I would call it a good New Years Eve.

On New Years Day I took the boys to see "Wonder." I had read the book and really wanted to see the movie so I just made the boys go with me. It may have been a little too "deep" for the kids. And it wasn't really their kind of movie. There wasn't a lot of funny and when there was funny it kind of went over their heads. And there was definitely no action so they both seemed a bit bored. Ben seemed the most bored, he kept lying flat down in his recliner and rolling around. However the movie did have some good messages about how we should treat others so I don't really regret bringing them and I am glad that I finally got to see it.

Selfies before the movie... 



That evening we had the Hansen's over for a game night. It was a definite success! The boys had so much fun playing games that the Hansen's had brought. Ben now wants the game "Sushi go!" for his birthday. And the boys along with Lydia and Colton, now have their own version of how to play "Clue." They apparently are no good at rules. It really was a fun night and it makes me want to be better at playing games as a family. It's just a fun way to spend time together.

Tuesday Lucy finally had her 5 year check up. With everyone off school I got to take all the kids with. They actually behaved pretty good, minus their freaking her out over getting her blood drawn and a shot. Mostly just Steven freaking her out by telling her it'll probably hurt and other reassuring things. She actually did pretty good for the finger prick but when they went to give her the flu shot, she looked at the wrong time and totally freaked out. I always feel like the worst mama when I have to hold her down. Afterwards she needed help getting in the car because her leg hurt from the shot- she's such a diva. She also said, in near tears, "Why did they take my blood from me? I didn't tell them they could take it?" Very traumatizing!

Wednesday I watched the oldest 3 May kids all day. The kids actually all played super well together so it made for a really easy day for me. I had time to write thank you cards, practice the piano, even read a bit- it was a nice day.

Thursday Lucy woke up saying the Penny gave her, her germs and she was sick. She sat by the toilet for a bit and then asked for some cold water (yes she specified that it had to be cold). Once she drank the water she was miraculously all better. I was just grateful it wasn't really the stomach bug. That afternoon I had xrays and a cleaning at the dentist. They want to replace a crown I just got a few years back (that was the traumatizing one where they rinsed out my sinuses instead of the tooth root). I don't think insurance will cover it, so I don't think it's going to happen. Gosh I hate the dentist.

Friday I thought about taking the kids somewhere but this whole week has been so so bitterly cold that I just couldn't do it. I think the real feel was in the negatives that day so we basically just hung at home. With the cold weather keeping us indoors it's actually been a relaxing week but I am sure the kids are looking forward to going back to school Monday so they can actually leave the house again.

Saturday Tyler and I had a belated celebration of our anniversary. We went to Dave & Buster's where we had lunch and played lots of fun arcade games. I pretty much stink at every arcade game out there but it was still lots of fun. I did have one fluke round of milk bottle bowling though where I got my ball in the 1000 bottle THREE times! I earned us a bazillion tickets so that definitely was my one shinning moment. So after $40 spent on tokens, we earned 975 tickets which bought us two shot glasses (the kids love drinking from these little glasses, ha ha) and some candy. Those places are so expensive but so fun. Afterwards we went to Home Depot and did some dreaming. There are so many things we would like to get or redo in our home. Most especially I would love a gas stove (I did not like it at first in Milford but now I miss it!) and we are in need of a new front door. The front door is actually something we will probably get when things warm up here so it was fun to look at those with the intention of actually buying one this year. And that was our exciting celebration of 12 years of marriage :)





No comments:

Post a Comment