Monday morning I went to my new dentist to get 2 fillings (both on opposite sides of my mouth). The first shot was fine but the second shot was very painful. The rest of the procedure was probably the smoothest I have had in a bit. The worst part was keeping my mouth open for 2 fillings- I felt like a snake unhinging my jaw. My jaw ached for days after that. The one tooth went back to normal pretty quickly but the other one is still not 100%. I am hopeful that doesn't mean that I will need more dental work.
With my mouth still numb, I went to old navy with the girls to do some jean shopping. Lucy hates shopping for jeans because she is so tall and thin and it is hard to find something that fits correctly. The jeans she tried on were, of course, too short. I ended up ordering that pair of jeans online for her in tall. Hopefully that will be successful. Penny found some fun cargo jeans that fit- she just needed to have the waistband tightened as far as it goes. She looks very "skater girl".
Tuesday morning I walked to the library with Grace. She had a lot of drama to share about her oldest and some parenting conflicts with her husband to share too. Motherhood and marriage and all the things are hard. I can't judge her because I have experienced the things she is going through but I don't know, I think I would probably be more likely to parent more like her husband. I would never tell her that though. It wouldn't be helpful.
Tuesday after lunch I went with poppy, Lucy and Ben too see "At the End of Oak Street". I love me a good dinosaur movie but this one was just ok. There was a lot of silly things that didn't quite work- like a dinosaur being more offended by being hit by a bat then shot with a gun. I also didn't love the marriage drama with the parents. But it was still an ok movie to watch. I just don't feel any need to watch it again.
After the movie Ruby and I met Asher at the dog beach. The weather was nice and she had fun chasing Asher and his brothers around and playing in the water. They even found some little toads that Asher refused to let go of. The only set backs were that Ruby's hatred of the porta potty led her to pooping her pants while we were there so that wasn't very fun. Also, the wasps living under the sand are still there and I don't love that. Overall a nice outing.
Tuesday evening I hosted book club. Sandra, Becky, Marlene, Grace, Mandi, my mom and I attended. We discussed the book "Dandelion Summer". I didn't love that book and was not feeling excited about our meeting but it ended up being a good time. We ate ice cream because they had a lot of ice cream in the book and then I pulled out my power point of questions. We talked about taking care of aging parents and cross generational friendships. After our discussion, some people brought pictures from their childhood and shared family stories. Then I gave everyone a notebook so we could start logging our books that we read. We spent some time decorating the covers of the notebook. Grace was less quiet this time and stayed longer and that was nice.
Wednesday was Ben's first day of his Junior Year of High School. It was weird to just have him starting school. Next week the girls will start and classes at OCC will start for Steven and Ben. I woke up early so I could document his first day and then couldn't get back to sleep.
Wedensday night Tyler, Penny, Ruby, Grams and I went to Ben's Soccer Game. He got out on the field for the last 25 minutes so that was nice. He is really improving and almost got a goal- so close! Ruby and I wandered around for most of the beginning of the game but I was able to get her to sit down at the end so I could watch Ben. She really likes putting these transparent post its on her coloring book. At one point a nice lady was trying to be nice and asked Ruby to help her take a picture but Ruby was not very good at pushing the button so it was kind of awkward. Anyways, in the end Ben's team won, 5-0.
Thursday morning, I dropped Lucy off at Renaissance so she could help with new student orientation (they call the older kids helping the new kids, Paw Patrol). Lucy got grumpy with me when I asked about how her skirt was fitting her (it already looks small). I was just trying to find out if we needed to buy a bigger one but you would have thought I was attacking her. While she was at the school, Penny, Ruby and me went to Target. I was curious about Ruby's size and so we did a little Ruby fashion show. She looked so cute in wide leg jeans and sweatpants. If Target has a sale on toddler clothes, I will be buying these.
After the fashion show she pronounced she was "done shopping", but unfortunately I still had to get some things and Penny had a giftcard she wanted to spend. The next part of our shopping trip was rough because she did not want to be there. After Target, we still had to do a quick stop at Walmart, and then we were able to pick up Lucy from school and pick up their school books for the year. Ever since Penny befriended the directors granddaughter (during a church camp), she has been friendlier to us, that's kind of nice.
Thursday afternoon I took Ben to OCC to help him pick up a book he needed for a class and to help him find his classes. He has been angry/grumpy lately and he got mad at me before we left because he didn't know what classroom one of his classes was in and he was seemingly incapable of finding out. He has been challenging lately. Thankfully he calmed down by the time we got to OCC and we had a nice time walking around campus and learning what buildings are where. Luckily it seems like all his classes will be pretty close to the parking lot.
On Friday, Elaine hosted a birthday brunch for me, Ranell and Sherstin (we all have birthdays in August). Only 2 other people came- Naoko and Kassie- but I like small group things. She made crepes that were delicious and we chatted while all the kids swam in the pool. Sherstin was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and her story about how she came about the diagnosis is really sad. She found out because of a miscarriage. She had been prompted to have a fifth child and so she thinks maybe that was divine intervention to help her discover the cancer. She is much more faithful than me and admire that about her.
Friday night we ran to the dollar tree with 4 out of the 5 kids for treats and boy are we a crowd. Then we came home and watched the first Tom Holland Spiderman. It was fun to introduce the girls to Spiderman.
I liked the beginning of our outing best. The weather was cloudy and perfect and it wasn't super crowded. Ruby played on the play ground and made a fairy wand. Then I got a henna tattoo. It was overpriced and I think I need to buy my own stuff and try doing it myself instead. Next we attempted to find the mermaids, failed, and ended up back in the kids area where Ruby made a fairy potion. We then went back out to where the mermaids were and ended up getting a merman instead- Penny said he was "zesty". It seemed fitting but I'm not if that's ok to say or no. Everyone is sensitive these days. Ruby was at first frightened of the merman and disappointed not to have a girl, but then he had her twirl and I think all was forgiven.
Next we ate lunch and watched the birds of prey show from the sidelines (because you can't have food at the performance area). I always like seeing the birds and I think the kids enjoyed it too.
After the birds of prey show, we saw a snake slithering around. Later, during the jousting, others spotted it, and a woman carried it away from the horses.
Ben and Tyler, after much waiting, got their traditional turkey legs. (Note Ben's fun peasant outfit- a last minute put together)
Next, the girls and I went shopping. Lucy and Ruby ended up getting parasols. Penny got elf ears.
Then we had about 20 minutes of waiting time until the jousting started and of course, the sun decided to come out. Everyone was hot and whiney. The parasols did come in handy but the kids kept putting them away because they worried about poking people with them and blocking views. I love the jousting but I wish they would do it earlier in the day and not wait until the hottest part of the day. As usual we ended up on the side with the bald father (he jousts against his son) and as usual he won. Ruby did not love the fast horses and the breaking lances. It made her nervous. I wonder what she will think of it next year.
After baking in the sun, everyone was pretty crabby so it was time to head out. We got some cotton candy and Steven, much to my shock, went and bought a $350 dagger with his own money. I feel like that was such a waste of money but Tyler says I just don't understand boys. Steven said it was his last chance to waste money at the Renaissance Festival since he will be on a mission next year. I think he's not dying and will have other opportunities to waste his money. But also, I am glad that he still enjoys going to the festival with us.

















No comments:
Post a Comment