Sunday, January 14, 2024

Break Continues

 On Sunday I got issued a second calling- Primary Teacher. I will be co-teaching Penny's class. There are a few boys in that class that I heard can be quite difficult so I am not looking forwards to that, but I will be teaching with my friend Ashlee who I don't see much these days so I think that will be nice. I guess I'll have to get subs on the days I am teaching my other class though? Doing both callings might be a bit complicated. I will also miss these last few years of not having to worry about covering a Sunday calling. 

Also on Sunday Ben got set apart as a Teacher and Steven got set apart as a Priest and Lucy moved up to Sunday School/YW's. It was a big Sunday for our kids (and their friends)!



Monday Penny had to get two adult teeth pulled because she has such a tiny mouth. It makes me a little anxious because she seems young to be losing adult teeth and I feel like her mouth has time to grow but the orthodontist convinced us it needed to happen and so hopefully it was the right choice. She did really good up until the pulling part. She had just whimpered and cried some before that but as soon as they started pulling each tooth out there was definite screaming and protesting. She has 2 other adult teeth on her bottom jaw that need to be pulled as well and the dentist suggested that we put her under for those. Ugh. That would be expensive. The laughing gas seemed to increase her emotionalness so she was pretty upset the rest of the day. I tried to bring her joy by letting her watch "Lilo and Stitch 2" and getting her a smoothie but that didn't help too much. She was pretty miserable for the rest of the day.

Monday night I fed Ruby her first "solids". It wasn't awful but I am not sure how much made it in her mouth either. She really seemed more intrigued by her plastic bib than the food. Later that week we tried the rice cereal again but with a more textured spoon and a non-plastic bib. It went better but I still probably won't be feeding her cereal everyday- probably just when I think of it and have time.


Tuesday morning I finally got my windshield repaired. It cost a small fortune but it had to happen. Steven is taking the road test soon and your car has to be road test worthy- cracks that spiral the whole width of the windshield are frowned upon. Nice to have a shiny new window though. That night I had Bunco. Melissa drove me and I was scared for my life- she is a bit of a crazy driver. It was rainy but she was speedy and tailgating. Somehow we made it there alive. There were really excellent prizes that night ($45 gift cards to Target) so of course, I did not win. We also played this "game" that was supposed to be for our Christmas Bunco but the lady who had made it was sick so hadn't brought it. It was literally just giftbags with numbers and you would roll the dice and take the bag with that number. I ended up with a bag with a crumpled 5 dollar bill in it- yay!? 

Wednesday somebody left the cage door partially open and Coral escaped. Steven discovered her sitting by the TV when he was getting ready to head out to seminary. His reaction to Tyler "What is this bird doing here?" I would love to have on video that birds great escape.

Thursday Lucy went to get another treatment for her warts. I am not convinced this is worth our time and money- especially since she is not good with the at home follow up (irritate warts with pumice and then put on compoud w daily). But I also know as a girl, having warts on your fingers is not ideal so we persist. The Doctor said it could take several more treatments so they are really going to get all our money it seems.

Friday I was going down to the basement and my foot slipped and I tumbled down the last few stairs, on my back. I am defintely still feeling that. That afternoon we started getting some really good snow. We had plans to take Lucy to the temple for the first time that night with the Mays. I had asked Grace to watch Ruby and Penny so the rest of us could attend with Lucy. Even though the snow was coming down fairly hard, we decided to still go. Tyler is a good driver and we have AWD. We figured if the roads seemed bad we could just abort and go home. Unfortunately fate had other plans for us. We were about 10 mins away from the temple when we hit a road that was closed. Tyler turned left and we all regret that choice. We got locked in on a road and were on that road for 2 hours with very little movement. We were surrounded by cars so there was literally nothing we could do. I felt like I was having a panic attack being trapped in an unmoving car and worried we would never make it home to Ruby and Penny. Yes, my thoughts spiraled. After 2 hours everyone had filtered into 2 lanes, leaving one empty next to us but still no movement. I felt like I was going to burst so I got out of the car to investigate- I walked past a dozen cars in my church boots and church clothes in thick snow. I am sure I looked crazy. I saw a huge truck with a flatbed trailer blocking several lanes and then a cop out trying to push another car out of the other lane. But there was enough space that we could pass by it all so we did it. We started a trend and got the heck out of there. If only it had been smooth sailing from there but it was not. So many roads were closed down and we had to detour and the roads were slippy slidey. I am so grateful for a husband who knows how to drive on bad roads and got us home safely. We had left to the temple at 5pm and did not get home until 9pm. The Mays however, made it to the temple, did baptisms and were home by 9pm as well. They were soooo lucky.

Saturday was a chill day at home. After being stuck in a car for hours I had no desire to get out of the house. I was an official homebody until that evening when we had a girl's night to celebrate Melissa's 40th. We had yummy food, played my game "Ransom Notes" and took a silly pic of Melissa and it was a good night out. Much needed.

Other than the drama of Friday night it was a pretty chill week. Tyler is back at work and going in 3 times a week. It was tricky with not having him to watch Ruby when I have to be places but it was manageable and I think we just function better when he is a working dad. I am not sure stay at home dad life is ideal for either of us. The girls created an awesome "doll house" made from Amazon boxes- apparently we just should have given them empty boxes for Christmas. Ruby got a fun new toy from Salvation Army and I got a cute pic of her two teethers. Now if only I could get Ruby to sleep through the night because she is still waking up twice a night and it is exhausting :(





No comments:

Post a Comment