Sunday, September 26, 2021

Things

Last Saturday Ben and Lucy had a soccer game. Andrea and Steven came with me to watch. They pretty much drew the whole time and didn't really watch but it was nice to have company I suppose. During the game I was really surprised when they put Lucy as goalie, it made my mom heart pretty nervous because I kind of think she's afraid of the ball. Thankfully the ball never came her way so she didn't have to try and catch it. Later on in the game, she got picked to do a goal kick and she missed. But thankfully her team didn't rag on her and she didn't seem to feel too bad about it. For the second week in a row, Ben helped score a goal. He seems to always get one goal a game. However his one goal wasn't enough, in the end they lost: 2-3. 

Somehow Sundays still feel busy, even though I don't have a Sunday calling. That's probably because I spend the morning catching up on lost sleep. Then when we get home from church I try to bake something for the seminary students for Monday, there's dinner to make, a phone call with my parents and seminary lesson planning to be done. I suppose though, that's exactly the way a Sunday should be spent.

Monday I got a work out in, did school work with the kids, and did some purging in the basement. That evening Lucy and Ben had soccer practice and it rained the entire time. I hid out in the car and felt super bad for them as it downpoured on them. They came back soaking wet and miserable. Apparently not only had they got drenched but a lot of members on their team were being pretty bad listeners so the coach made them run lots of laps. Not the best practice for them.

Tuesday I kept myself busy while the kids were at school. I had a big load to drop off at Salvation Army and I had a hallway that I wanted to paint. The drop off of my junk was a little complicated. I went to one Salvation Army and there was a huge line, I just couldn't do it, so I drove 20 minutes to another one and then there was only one car in front of me. I think it was worth all the driving to not have to sit in a car line forever but it probably didn't actually save me any time. Then there was also the buying of painting supplies, the taping and prepping for painting, a lunch break with Tyler and I managed to prime the walls before having to go pick the kids back up. After dinner I painted the first coat of white pain and then crashed. It was a LONG day.

Wednesday, after I finished doing school work with the kids, I did another coat of paint. I had just finished the walls and was about to start on the ceiling when a reminder popped up on my phone- Ben had a dr's appointment. He had went to Defy with Andrea so I had to quickly change out of my painting clothes, go pick him up and then take him to the appointment. Thankfully all those places were close by and I ended up getting him there early. I was impressed with myself. Unfortunately he had to get 4 shots and that was pretty traumatizing for him. He was an emotional mess as soon as he heard that news but he did survive, with tears streaming. And I came home and finished painting the ceiling, made dinner and rushed Steven to an activity...only to learn that it was cancelled. The weather was windy and getting to the church building had been such a mess so I was not happy to find out it was all for no reason. But the wind had took out the power at the church so whatever.

Thursday was a rainy day. We had so many of those this week. I cleaned the house, took a shower and was taking a rest before picking up the kids when I felt like something was biting me. It was. There was a bug in my robe. I just don't even know. It was horrifying and I threw it and now it is in my room somewhere waiting to bite me again. Also Thursday we found out one of our seminary students who had been in class Mon and Tues tested positive for Covid. So we cancelled seminary for Friday and then we get to do Seminary via Zoom all next week which I am not excited about. I have no idea how I am going to keep them engaged, they seemed to be extra tired and unfocused this week- more kids with heads in lap and a few students with phones out. I think the honeymoon period is over and that does not bode well for Seminary Zoom. The Covid news also ruined the plans Tyler and I had to go see one of our student's volleyball game and another's football game. We figured going out into a big crowd after being exposed to the Covid wasn't a good idea. Boo.

Due to all the rain we had this week, Ben and Lucy's soccer game was cancelled for Saturday since the field was too soaked for kids to play. This left our Saturday nice and empty. I ended up running a few quick errands, going through a few more boxes in the basement, and starting to clear out our bedroom because I am a glutton for punishment and am going to paint it next. I really do hate painting, it is physically exhausting and so messy but the end result always inspires me to do more. This is going to be much harder than the hallway though since there's furniture and junk that has to be moved out of the way. 

Steven had his friend Max over that day and in an attempt to get them off the screens that they had been stuck on all day, we made a fire and did s'mores. But apparently Max hates marshmallows so that was a fail. Instead they sat outside watching videos on Max's phone. Eesh I hate portable screens. After we made s'mores, I put in this "fire dye" I had bought and it was really cool to watch the fire turn colors. The girls were impressed too but the boys, once again, not so much.


Also on Sunday we received a text from the Bishop that was not worded so well. We don't wear masks to church because we have been told they are encouraged but not required, Tyler is pretty anti-mask. I have asked Steven to wear a mask while passing sacrament but he won't because another boy doesn't so I didn't fight that fight with him. Anyways the text basically said he (Bishop) chooses to heed the counsel from the Prophet because he has a testimony and that there are blessings in doing so and the opposite is true if we don't. And he respects our agency but if we choose not to wear a mask Steven will need to be excused from passing the sacrament and we will need to distance ourselves from everyone. It felt very judgy and condescending. If he had just said hey, Steven needs to wear a mask to pass sacrament and if you guys aren't going to wear a mask we'll need you to social distance, we'd be cool with that. Or even he could just require masks and we'd wear them, fine. But telling us we don't have a testimony in the prophet was not cool. And especially doing all that over text was not cool. If he wants to talk about it and pass judgement I would respect him more if he did it face to face and allowed a conversation about it. Anyways, working hard on my pride and obstinate feelings right now. 




No comments:

Post a Comment