Saturday, January 28, 2017

IKEA, Dinged Doors & Crummy Teeth

Well we had a nice surprise this week when Tyler came home from being up North on Sunday instead of Monday. We have had such weird, warm weather here that the tracks were too slushy for Tyler to test his vehicle on so he came home early. Unfortunately he just found out yesterday that he has to go back up North Monday, Boo! The weather has been cooling back down these past couple of days and we have been getting some fun snow flurries but no major snow yet.

With Tyler off Monday we decided to take a trip out to IKEA because we have been wanting to look at TV stands (since ours is falling to pieces) and get some ideas of what we might want. Tyler thinks he'll build us one, we'll see how that goes. I remember the LONG, grueling process of him building our dining room table still. We also got some new dishes at IKEA which I am super happy about. Our plastic plates had seen much better days and we didn't have enough nice plates for company so we got some new dishes for the kids and a new set of dishes for adults at rocking IKEA prices- seriously such good deals! We ended our excursion with slushies and cinnamon rolls, it was good day.

Tuesday Tyler watched the kids while I subbed for a preschool class. It was actually one of my easiest sub jobs. I had an aide who knew the routine and the kids and did a lot and the kids mostly just played the whole time- easy peasy! Probably the only hard part of the day was "rest time" because about half of the kids had no interest in resting during that time and instead kept wanting to get in trouble. When I came home from subbing I found out the girls had sprayed air freshener in each other's hair so their hair was crispy and awful looking but it smelled great, ha ha! I should've taken a picture!

Wednesday was a rough day. Lucy had a dentist appointment and when I got there I parked way too close to a car. Lucy, of course, pushed open her door hard and dinged their car. The people were in it so I slowly unloaded Penny and waited for them to come out and look. They didn't so as I started to go into the office, I made eye contact with the lady in the car and mouthed I am sorry. She kind of waved me away so I thought I was good. I was not. When I was back in the room and they were looking over Lucy's teeth, I had a front office lady come and ask me if I drove a Black Chevy Traverse. I was in trouble, the driver wanted all my info. I was so embarrassed and I don't know why, but I got super emotional and when I got back to the room I started to cry. Double embarrassing. The hygienist who was working with Lucy was so nice to me. She gave me a cup of water and said all kinds of nice things and I could tell she is obviously really good with kids since I was acting like one. I am so grateful for her kindness when I was being a silly ninny.

After my emotional bout the dentist came back and delivered the bad news that Lucy did not have just one cavity to be filled but she had 5. I am not sure how one office can say 1 and another can say 5 but because I would rather fix it then be sorry I agreed to everything. Next month Lucy is going to go in and get some laughing gas and then get 5 fillings- I hope the laughing gas works! And I hope the dentist appreciates all the cars and boats we are buying them. Because all our kids' teeth are falling apart, Tyler has instituted a new rule that the kids only get after dinner treats on the weekend- we'll see how long that lasts!

Wednesday night I had book club planning meeting and learned that I have pretty trashy taste in books. Everyone was listing off, deep thoughtful books and when I listed off my one light, funny, romantic read it was the only book that did not make it on the list- literally. Totally ignored. And they didn't even come back to me to ask for more recommendations. I so didn't feel the love. I am seriously not a fan of group things, I always feel so invisible.

Thursday Steven's teacher asked if I could sub for her that afternoon. She said all these nice things about how good I was and how she didn't want a random sub so I hated to say no to her (it pays to compliment people). After asking literally 6 people if they could watch my girls and being rejected (it seems everyone was doing last minute visiting teaching), I asked the ladies at my primary presidency meeting and one kindly said yes- life saver. 

Steven's class actually did really well that afternoon because I implemented some bribery (I passed out tickets and drew names for prizes at the end of the day). Unfortunately when they rotated classes in the afternoon, the other 2 third grade classes that I taught did HORRIBLE. I may just have to do the tickets for them if I sub for Steven's teacher again. It was an exhausting day.

Friday made up for a long week. It consisted of hanging with a friend in the morning and reading in the afternoon. Then that evening Tyler took Steven on a camp out with his Scouts and I got a babysitter and went solo to a friend's birthday party. I was the only one without my spouse but I ended up having a good time. We played "Watch Ya Mouth" which must have been made up by a dentist. You put this thing in your mouth that stretches it open and then you have to read a phrase and your team has to figure out what you are saying. I totally bombed it my first time because I got too giggly but then I got randomly chosen to do the tie breaker and I did pretty good. I got 9 phrases guessed, unfortunately the other team got 11 so we didn't win but at least I didn't loose royally. Anyways Friday was an all around good day.

And Funny story, I was writing my talk for Sunday and I wanted to start it with a quote from Ben: "It doesn't really taste good but it's yummy" And then I wanted to do a similar quote to express my feelings about giving a church talk so I asked Ben how I could do that and he said, "Just say 'I'm a chicken!'" Ha ha, nailed it! I am a total chicken when it comes to church talks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment