Sunday we got ready with only the help of our generator. It's hard to get ready with minimal light. We also had the new schedule at church- 2nd hour was now half Sunday School and half classes (RS/EQ/YM/YW). Things went slightly over but I am liking the schedule. Shorter classes are better for my short attention span. When we got back from church, we were blessed to find our electricity was finally working. It is funny how much we take electricity for granted in our daily lives. I was so grateful for lights, air conditioning, a way to charge my devices, a stove, a microwave, a dishwasher, a washer and dryer...All those things that I use daily and feel like such a normal but necessary part of my life.
Monday was Labor Day. I ended up driving out to Grand Blanc in the morning to pick up large plastic animals and dinosaurs. It was an amazing deal- the person was selling about 30 of them for only $10 so it was worth the drive. It was nice to have a quiet drive by myself. I ended up stopping at a couple shops on my way home just to further enjoy my solitary quiet time. I didn't really need anything, just browsed the aisles. The plastic animals/dinosaurs I got were to be used as bribery for Ruby to go poop on the potty. She kept going in her pants which is really a miserable thing for all involved. The addition of the bribery really hasn't been as helpful as I had hoped. We have had the toys for almost a week and she has pooped in the potty only twice since then. But I will take the 2 wins and hope for even more wins in the future.
Monday night we had a couples game night at Grace's. Nahoko and Eric were there as well. We played a game called "Bad People" that Eric had bought on a whim. It turns it is probably meant for single men in their 20's. The point of the game was to pull a card and determine who the person who was "it" would think fit what the card said best (I.E. Most likely to launder money). But at lot of the cards were super inappropriate- some sexual, some to do with drinking- and that didn't really work for us. We had to filter out a lot of cards but there were still some funny moments. After that game we played Caution Signs and that was a pretty fun game. You get an adjective and a noun and have 20 seconds to draw it. Then the person who is it has to guess which adjective and noun goes to everyone's drawing. I pretty much love most drawing and creative games like that. All in all it was a good night with friends.
Tuesday after we dropped the girls off at school, Ruby and I went to Scarlet's Park. Ruby loves the zipline and swings there. We had a pretty good time until it started getting way too peopley so we left.
After the park, I went to the doctor for my ears and leg. I have had such clogged ears and have tried at home products to clean them out to no avail- they usually get worse. The doctor agreed they were very full of wax and commented that my ear tubes were also very small. She had a nurse come and rinse them with a warm hydrogen peroxide mixture. This nurse was not happy about having to clean out my ears and somehow she managed to get that mixture all over my shirt. I was pretty wet. Then the doctor came back in to check and apparently that hadn't done much. She tried as well but said there appears to be a ball of wax stuck in the middle of my tubes and I will probably need a vacuum to get it out. She referred me to an ENT because they would have the proper tools. Unfortunately the ENT can't see me until November so I get clogged and itchy ears for another couple months.
As for the upper leg pain I have been having in my right leg- the doctor ordered an ultrasound for me. She thinks maybe I injured a muscle when I slid down the stairs and landed on my thigh about a month ago. I am honestly not sure if the pain started with that incident or not. Memory is a slippery thing for me. It could also have happened when lifting weights or maybe I am just getting old? It's just sitting has become pretty painful at times because of this leg pain. The ultrasound is on Tuesday and I am hoping it will show something fixable but I am also not counting on it.
Wednesday morning, Penny had some emotions towards math. Meanwhile Lucy has been working very hard to stay calm while doing math. She slips momentarily here and there but overall I have been impressed with her control. After homeschool I ran a few errands and of course, while I was gone Ruby pooped herself. I felt so bad that Lucy and Penny had to clean up after her. I hope they don't resent me for all the things they are asked to do for Ruby.
Ben had an orthodontist appointment that afternoon and Ruby tagged along because I did not want to risk her having any more accidents while I was away. I am grateful that the office is only 2 minutes away and I am grateful for the TV in the waiting room. There is also a really nice office lady who has a similar age gap with her kids that I chatted with for a bit. I love getting to talk to people who have been in similar situations. Especially when they talk positively about it.
Wednesday after dinner we had some fun with sidewalk chalk. Lucy is a really good artist with the chalk.
Thursday after dropping the girls off at school, Ruby and I met Amelia and Kara at a park near the girls' school again. It was a cooler day so it felt good to be out but that conversation wasn't my favorite. Lately when I start to vent about things- like I started to talk about the struggle with potty training Ruby- Kara will cut me off and say that she can't give me advice on that. I don't necessarily need advice but I do want to feel like someone is willing to talk to me about things in my life- even if they can't relate or understand yet. It is just off putting. She is still a nice person and I am grateful for her friendship. I am just learning she won't be the friend I can vent too.
After the park we ran a couple errands and I was able to find some cute sweaters and fancy/fun shoes for Ruby at a thrift shop. Ruby really loves shoes and immediately put on her new "Elsa" shoes in the car. She also got some mini mouse shoes.
Thursday night Ben had a soccer game nearby so we went (Tyler, Ruby, Penny, Grams and me). They won with a score of 1 to 0 so it was a tight game and he did not get to play. It was not exactly a fun watch either because Ruby was being a total nightmare. She fell at one point and got a scratch on her leg and then spent the rest of the time crying over the scratch because she did not want to see it. She wailed like we were abusing her and I kept having to walk her around behind the bleachers until she calmed herself. But then she would see the cut and the tears would reactivate. It was miserable.
Friday morning Lucy mowed Sister Miller's lawn while Ruby and I went to the park. Ruby spent most of the time on a thing with seats that you sit on while someone pushes it so it goes around (sort of like a merry go round). She made some friends while on it (mostly with the grandma in it, lol) and would sit sometimes and other times help push.
Friday night we went to Amelia's first birthday party (Tyler, Ruby and me). It just consisted of eating cupcakes and socializing on their driveway. A family that came had brought a scooter and Ruby kept trying to ride it which was causing me to panic inside thanks to Penny's accident. Thankfully no one was injured. The Massey's were there as well and I enjoyed chatting with them. They are good people and I haven't had a chance to visit with them for awhile.
Saturday Penny, Ben, Ruby, Grams and I went on a road trip to Grand Rapids to go check out the Chihuly Exhibit at Fredrick Meijers Gardens It was a longer drive so I took some pain killers for my leg so it didn't bother me too much. It was warmer than I would have liked but not too bad. I love any outing involving nature and artwork so I really enjoyed seeing all the sculptures and the additional glass art by Chihuly. Ruby was a bit whiney in the beginning and not a fan of the giant horse statue (although she gave the small horse statue a high five) but she eventually came around and seemed to have a good time, We also had the fun of her needing to pee and of course, there wasn't a bathroom super close by, but we did make it. We enjoyed reading plaques and talking about how the titles related to the statues. Ben thought the glass art we saw in the water near the building looked like onions and it turns out he was on point with that- they were modeled after onions.
Eventually the heat got to us and we ended our exploration of the grounds. Ben was nice and offered to watch Ruby at the play area so us girls could go see the indoor Chihuly exhibit. I am so glad we got to go see it. His work is really beautiful. Penny thought she was funny and kept making me nervous by getting extra close to art pieces. I am sure that we would be in debt for the rest of our lives if she broke anything in there. I swear sometimes my older kids are just as bad as my toddler.
After the indoor exhibit, I went and got a soaking wet Ruby from Ben- he had let her have a little too much fun in the water play area. We changed her and then bought her some cotton candy because she is just like her dad and obsessed with it. Then we headed home. On our way home we stopped at the Horrocks Market in Lansing so everyone could get a treat. We are such a sugar addicted family. Once home, I was quite pooped so that was pretty much the end of my excitement for the day.














.heic)





.heic)

No comments:
Post a Comment