Saturday, September 19, 2026

Doughnuts and Gram's Birthday

Sunday Tyler sang in our sacrament meeting with a small choir. It was one of the new hymns- "What God Calls Us To." We thought the women that spoke before he sang was just going to introduce the hymn, but she gave a full on talk about it and even recited all the lyrics. I'm not sure if she was supposed to do that or not, but she made sure to include how inclusive and loving she is of trans and lesbians so that was nice. After church we didn't have any meetings so it was a restful Sunday. When I went to check the mail that afternoon I discovered a spider had made his home in our mailbox. Last week I had found a spider making a web on my car door. I am beginning to feel like this is a start of some spider horror movie.




Monday morning Kara brought Amelia over for us to watch because she had a colonoscopy. The girls were ecstatic to have Amelia over and did a lot of the baby watching for me. We were all impressed with how much food Amelia ate. She ate 3 small pancakes that I had made and then the oatmeal her mom had made for her. But I guess all that food gave her plenty of poop because the first time we put her down for a nap she cried and we discovered she had pooped. Then after we changed her diaper and did some rocking and gave her a little more milk, we tried to put her down a second time. She cried again and we eventually went in and discovered that she had even more poop. Other than her pooping and not napping, it was an easy gig.


Tuesday Ruby and I went to the library for music and story time. We were excited that it had started again. This time we attended the all ages storytime instead of the toddler storytime but it really wasn't any different in material or audience. The audience was basically toddlers since it is during the school day. However, storytime was much louder than I remember. Not sure if that was just because it was the first storytime of the new season or because of the substitute teacher (the regular teacher was out of town). The only bummer about this storytime is they don't do toys afterwards and that was one of Ruby's favorite parts.

After storytime, Poppy took Ruby and I out to Burger King for lunch. Then we took Grams to Milfords so she could buy the bread she likes from the bakery there (orange cranberry). She was nice and got Ruby a cookie while we were there. 


After I picked up the girls from school, I had to rush to an appointment for an ultrasound on my leg. I ended up feeling like a crazy person because I had  tough time explaining my leg pain. In the end I guess I was a crazy person because there were no signs of muscle tears or injuries. Doctor Google is telling me it might be a sciatic nerve problem so I have been trying some stretches that are supposed to help with that. They do feel good in the moment but I am still struggling with leg pain- especially when driving.

Tuesday night Ben had a soccer game. Thankfully this time Ruby did not suffer any dramatic falls. However, we did have to make 2 trips to the bathroom. Why are the bathrooms always such a long walk from the bleachers? Also, this school had narrow walkways which made the journey even more awkward. Ruby was quite funny (and embarassing) that night. She was enjoying ease dropping on other people's conversations and repeating phrases she heard people say and she would also turn to me and say "What the flip did they say?" She also was entranced by a light in the ground and tried to convince me that she had to go potty (for a third time) so she could walk by it again. When I told her I wanted to watch the game she said, "Oh fine, we'll watch the game." She is a lot all the time and certainly makes our life more entertaining.

Wednesday morning was tough and not because of homeschool but because Ruby was having poop issues. I tried to do my work out but kept having to stop because she needed to sit on the potty- only no poop ever came. On top of that the girls were fighting over silly things. These girls are really wearing me down. To reward them for their awful behavior, we went to Long's Farm for doughnuts. Ben and Grams came too. Penny was upset the whole time because she thought I was going to make her late for a birthday party. She ended up being a whopping 7 minutes late to her party.





On our way home from dropping Penny off, Ruby, Lucy and I stopped by Target to do some shopping. I was working on decking out our mantel and had already spent a ridiculous $40 at Dollar Tree and just needed a couple more things from Target- some orange lights and little trees to go by the haunted house. I should have taken a pic because it turned out pretty good. I also impulse bought a pair of pants that make a nice swishing sound when I walk. They are good lightweight pants for fall and spring but I want be able to sneak around in them. Ruby also tried on this awesome hot dog costume.


Thursday was Grams birthday. After dropping the girls off at school, Ben, Ruby, Grams and I went out to Ann Arbor so we could enjoy some free samples at Cherry Republic (and of course buy some cherry products too). As we were walking out the door Ben showed me a handful of candy samples he had taken- sometimes my older kids are worse than my toddler. 

After dinner that night we sang to Gram and ate some delish strawberry bundt cake that I made. Unfortunately I did not plan ahead well and did not have a 5 candle so she got to turn 74 again. 



Friday evening Tyler, Ruby, Penny and I went to a wedding reception for the Dumont's son. We don't really know him very well but I served in primary with Sandra so I felt we should go and support. I spent too much time trying to figure out what to gift these people. I didn't have enough time to order things off their registery and I didn't really want to just give them cash. I ended up getting them a small lego flower set and after much hunting- a vase that fit the flowers. Apparently a tall shot glass from the Dollar Tree was the best fit for the flowers, lol. The reception itself was nice enough. I had a good visit with some people and the groom's friends gave some really nice speeches about him. I don't even know him that well but I felt touched. After the recpetion I cleaned the house and that's always a joyous task. It is better than cleaning during the day with Ruby but I get very snappy with the older kids when they get in the way. I am not a nice cleaner.

Saturday was a cool and rainy day. I did a little thrift shopping in the morning which always makes me happy. Then after lunch I had a missionary farewell party to attend for someone who used to be in our ward. He had been in Ben's seminary class so Ben came with me as well. I thought it was just a farewell party so I didn't bring a card or anything but it ended up being a grad party too so I felt embarrassed for showing up empty handed. I really didn't know anyone there so it was a bit awkward for a minute but a nice lady sat by me and I got to know her. Ben told me afterwards that even thought I don't love going to these things, I am good at making conversation. While I don't think it's hard to make conversation, I do think that it's draining. 

And with my social battery was already drained...we had one more wedding reception to attend. Another kiddo in the ward that we didn't know super well but we are friends with his parents. This time only Tyler and I attended. The food was Chipotle so that made me happy and we had some good visits with people there. One lady was asking me about my trip to Italy but I'm not sure she would like my itinerary since she is not into architecture and art. I do love to talk about Italy though...

On a negative note, pooping in the potty is not getting any better with Ruby. She only poops in the potty when I notice the signs and get her there. She was also suffering from some constipation this past week so she went 3 whole days without pooping. And today she pooped her pants twice- one of the times was right after she had just peed on the potty. I really wish we could get this figured out.

On a funny note, I forgot to share a story last week- the case of Ben's disappearing shoes. He could not find them and I thought he must of just taken them off in a funny location- they couldn't just disappear. But I was busy and didn't help him hunt for them and he ended up wearing crocs to soccer practice and wearing Tyler's baseball shoes to school the next day. I finally went to help look for his shoes and discovered that the black pair of shoes that I had thought at first were Steven's, were not Steven's because he was not home. I realized they were my dads. So I ran over to my parent's house with my dad's shoes and asked him if he had accidentally taken Ben's shoes. He was, at that moment, wearing Ben's navy shoes. It was a funny mix up.

No comments:

Post a Comment