Saturday, June 26, 2021

Father's Day, Detroit Art Museum

 I think Tyler had a pretty good Father's Day on Sunday. It was filled with good food (omelette, shrimp and spicy chicken chipolte), no meetings and a nap. All the kids used their own money to buy him something. Penny went sentimental and got him a sweet sign that said he was the best Dad. Steven bought him cotton candy. Ben got him a dorky shirt and Pop Rocks and Lucy got the funniest gift- a magnet that said "That's what she said."She has no idea what that REALLY means, she just knows her dad says it way too often. I drew each kid with a funny quote they had said, made a collage and turned it into a desktop plaque for him.


This summer I really enjoy the mornings where I can sleep in, go for a run with Ben, take a long shower and then start the day. Monday was one of those good mornings. When all that was done the girls and I went and got $1 smoothies at Tropical Smoothie Cafe and then they tagged along while I visited one of my yw. This YW has chickens and cats so the kids got to see their animals while her and I visited. We had a good chat and I was so close to getting her to come to our Tree Runner Activity this week. BUT then Bishop invited her to a spontaneous temple trip that was around the same time. I know temple trumps activities but I was so frustrated. She hasn't been to an activity in years. She did promise to come to our next activity so I'm hopeful she will.

After the visit we went to the Dollar Tree. I didn't find what I wanted but the girls found some activity books. I went to buy them for them and the guy wouldn't ring me up because he said he was waiting for a customer to come back. After waiting 5 minutes, it genuinely did not like this customer was coming back. I was annoyed that he wouldn't just void their transaction and do mine, so I left. The girls were distraught. It was fun.

That afternoon we had made plans to meet up with Stacey's family at the beach. It was super cool and windy but we hadn't seen her family forever so we didn't cancel. The poor kids were freezing so we did not last long at all- about an hour in Lucy was begging to go home and change into a sweater. Michigan's weather can be so frustrating but at least we saw them for a bit before we headed out.

Ben had his first summer soccer practice that evening. It's a new league and the kids seem more skilled. If only Ben would stop having to stop to tie his shoes or running into people. He's not great but he does enjoy it and I am just happy that it keeps him active.

Tuesday I had my ultrasound. The ultrasound tech remembered me and all my issues from last year. She was really nice to me and very open about everything she saw. She kept saying how great it was that my utereus was normal and boring. She also pointed out that I had an isthmocele but told me that was totally normally. What she didn't realize was that I had a surgery last year to specifically remove the istmocele. I didn't tell her that, didn't want to squash her positivity. Afterwards when I met with the doctor, she also didn't think it was a big deal. She said it was very small and could have easily been missed. She said that 80% of women who get c sections have it and that the only reason they operated before was because of the mass they kept finding in my uterus. I honestly found the whole thing discouraging.

Tuesday afternoon we met a few families at my beach and tie dyed some shirts. I find tie dying rather stressful with kids but afterwards us moms all conversed while the kids played and that was nice. I shared my frustrations from my earlier doctor's visit with my friends. Caroline is always so anti baby that sometimes I get frustrated with her but Chalsea stepped in and said some supportive things that were helpful. Caroline also said how maybe this happened so I could see how having another baby is the "wrong direction." (referring to a conference talk where they hit a fork in the road, both felt prompted to go one direction, it dead ended so they then knew the other direction was the right way) As much it as I don't like that thought, it also has truth in it. Anyways with thoughts from that conversation, from the doctor's visit, from this long 2.5 year journey of trying and a long conversation later on this week with Tyler, I think it might be time to end of this journey of trying to have a baby. It's just a really hard decision to commit to.

On a lighter note, Wednesday afternoon I took my yw to Tree Runner Adventure Park. This was a work of love, so much effort to get young women there that we hadn't seen forever. I had some success and I think the yw who came really enjoyed it. A lot of them faced their fears and showed a lot of courage. One of our yw pushed herself a little too hard and ended up having to get "rescued" because she was essentially frozen in fear. I still feel proud of her for even just the attempt. It also ended up raining while we were there but it amazing what good coverage trees can provide. None of us got too soaked. Here is the crew (minus 2 that left early):


Friday morning I went in to the dr's office to get some more blood work done and then rushed back to take the kids to the Detroit Art Museum. The Museum was free, otherwise I might not have taken them. I really wasn't sure how much fun my kids would have an art museum. They actually ended up having a really good time...at first. They loved the Egpytian and Ancient Middle East exhibit. The mummies, the tools, the weapons- all intrigued them. Then we found the suits of armor upstairs which were equally cool. As we got into the painting exhbits they were doing pretty good still but then we triggered an alarm saying that we were too close to an exhibit and awhile later a security guard tracked us down and told me that Steven had touched an antique table on display and gave my kids a firm reprimand. I did not see him touch a table. I did see Ben point at antique furniture and thought that was what triggered the alarm. Steven claims he didn't touch anything. I doubt it, he's pretty spazy and could have easily done it. All I know is the reprimand in front of other visitors sort of put a damper on our fun and we didn't last much longer after that.








Penny found a statue named "Penelope" and was pretty excited.


To make up for the sour ending at the museum we picked up some cookies afterwards. We had had such a crazy busy week that Penny took a nap when we got back. Later that afternoon, Tyler and I met with a Stake High Council Member and were called us Seminary Teachers. I know I wanted this but I am also terrified. It is literally going to be like a job and on top of that I will still be homeschooling my kids 3 days a week. Here's hoping I survive the next school year.



No comments:

Post a Comment